As we all spend more time at home together, it’s important to stay active and engaged — especially for kids. Adding structure to each day can help make it easier for adults and children alike to stay focused and productive. And finding ways to be creative and have fun everyday can help lift everyone’s spirits, while creating wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
Looking for creative projects that the whole family can enjoy together, with supplies you already have around the house? Here are ten easy and fun activities, perfect for all ages:
1.) Learn a Dance
Feeling a little cooped up? Dancing is a healthy, energizing, and fun form of exercise with serious health benefits — and it’s an activity that everyone can do together. Have everyone in the house take turns putting on their favorite song, as everyone boogies together.
Want to turn dancing into a fun learning activity? Here are a few ways to put a new spin on things:
- You could learn a dance from the popular social app TikTok, and film your own version.
- Practice classic group dances, like square dancing
- Have everyone learn the moves to a line dance, like the Electric Slide or the Chicken Dance
- Make up your own secret family dance by picking a song and having everyone come up with a few moves at a time
2.) Write and Shoot a Movie
Action! If you have a smartphone or digital camera, you can make the next big blockbuster… or at least a fun home movie that your family can enjoy together.
When you make a movie at home, you can be as hands-on or loose as you’d like. Making a short film is a fun way to let everyone play to their strengths and find an activity they enjoy, from writing the script, to designing costumes, to decorating your “set,” to drawing up a storyboard or creating special effects.
3.) Make Music With DIY Instruments
Already burned through your iTunes library? Why not make your own tunes, with your own homemade instruments? There are lots of fun ways to repurpose household items to create instruments. Here are a few guides and lists for inspiration:
- “20 DIY Musical Instruments for Kids to Make and Play”
- “52 Homemade Musical Instruments to Make”
- “Backyard Design: DIY Outdoor Sound Wall/Music Station”
- “Make Your Own Percussion Instruments”
4.) Bake Up Something Tasty
The kitchen is a great place to make new memories. Whether you’re baking up a cake or cooking a classic family recipe, preparing a meal combines art, science, and history into one hands-on activity. Look online for kid-friendly recipes, or ask your family if there’s a special dish they’ve always wanted to try to learn how to make at home. Everyone can take on a job in the kitchen, no matter how big or small.
Looking for inspiration? Many social media channels are also hosting recipes and cooking demonstrations, to provide guidance for home cooks just starting out. Here are a few places to look for more family-friendly recipes and ideas:
- “21 Fun And Delicious Recipes You Can Make With Your Kids”
- “14 Easy Recipes For Cooking With Kids”
- “15 Easy Dinner Recipes You Can Cook with Your Kids”
- “20 Easy Baking Recipes for Kids”
5.) Get Crafty With Things You Have Around the House
Waste not, want not. There are lots of fun and creative ways to reuse items you probably already have around the house to craft DIY decor pieces and amazing works of art. From old bottles and cans to tissue boxes and paper towel rolls, let your imagination run free!
Looking for ideas to get started? Here are a few guides and resources to help get the creative juices flowing:
- “3 Easy Home Decor DIYs You Can Do with Supplies You Already Have”
- “6 Great DIY YouTube Channels That Will Inspire You to Make Things”
- “31 Insanely Easy And Clever DIY Projects”
- “Easy DIY Crafts Anyone Can Do”
- “These 50 Fun Activities for Kids Will Keep Them Entertained for Hours”
6.) Draw, Paint, and Color
Coloring, drawing, and painting can be incredibly soothing, while also letting people of all ages get creative and express themselves. Best of all, you don’t need lots of fancy art supplies to have an artistic night in; the supplies you have on hand should work just fine. Looking for ideas? You could make a sign to display in your window for the whole neighborhood, hold a mini art fair in your kitchen, or make up coloring books to trade between family members. There are also lots of creative ways to make up your own DIY materials, like foam paint or glow-in-the-dark colors.
7.) Have a Treasure Hunt
A treasure hunt or scavenger hunt can be a great way to get everyone on their feet. Hide items around the house, and encourage everyone to seek out the prizes. Along the way, you could set up a DIY obstacle course, write clever riddles and clues, or set up fun challenges to keep everyone entertained and engaged.
- “11 Tips for Creating an Awesome Treasure Hunt”
- “How to Plan a Fun Treasure Hunt”
- “How to Write Fun and Challenging Scavenger Hunt Clues”
- “Indoor Treasure Hunt for Children”
8.) Make Up Your Own Games
For a fun night in, you could break out your family’s favorite board game or puzzle, or get creative, and make up a brand new game of your very own. There are lots of fun ways to create board games, memory games, and puzzles from scratch, using just a few art supplies and a little bit of imagination.
Want to start designing the perfect game for your household? Here are a few tips and resources to check out for inspiration:
- “DIY on a Dime: Memory Game for Kids”
- “8 Amazing Board Games You Can DIY”
- “12 DIY Board Games So You’re Never Bored”
- “10 Best DIY Board Games for Kids – That You Can Make at Home!”
9.) Set Up Some Science Experiments
There’s never a bad time to encourage a lifelong love for all things STEM — science, technology, engineering, and math. From classic science projects like homemade volcanoes and model rockets, to fun coding programs and robot kits, there is no shortage of ways for everyone in your home to bond over science.
Want to embrace your inner scientist? Here are a few ways to find experiments and projects to work on at home:
- “10 Genius Science Experiments That Families Can Safely Create Right At Home”
- “Science Experiments That You Can Do at Home”
- “15 Very Simply Science Experiments (Using What You Already Have at Home)”
- “6 Easy and Fun Science Experiments for Kids”
10.) Have a Fashion Show
Looking around the house for a fun way to pass the time? Don’t forget to check your closets and dresser drawers. Playing dress up is a classic pastime for young children, and it can be fun when the whole family gets wacky and tacky with their fashion together. You can also use this time to sew up garments, learn the fine art of tie-dye, or look into kid-friendly fashion projects like making homemade jewelry and accessories.
How Are You Making the Most of Your Time at Home?
This is the time to remember what’s truly important — health, family, and the bonds that tie us together. Whether it’s now serving as a school, office, playground, or simply a safe space, our home has never been more important. We know this is as well as anyone. At Baird & Warner, Chicagoland has been our home since 1855.
We are here for you, no matter what. We understand that you still have important real estate decisions to make, and our mission is to make achieving those goals easier. We will continue to provide the most updated information and guide you through this extraordinary time with a calm and steady hand. We know how resilient our Chicagoland community is — and we’re confident we’ll get through this together, stronger than ever.