This is the prime season for the real estate market, and many potential homeowners are looking for that perfect property. Since the outside of your home is the first thing potential buyers – or even your everyday guests – will see, it’s time to dedicate some hard work and creativity to letting everyone know just how amazing your home can be.
Whether you’re planning to sell or simply give your home a fresher look, here are 10 tips to help you do it.
1. Add a new coat of paint to your front door. If you want to try something completely different, choose a bright color like turquoise or yellow.
2. Clean all of the windows, both inside and out.
3. Don’t underestimate the power of a new mailbox. If yours has seen better days, it’s time to replace it.
4. Make sure all of the hardware on the front of your home – knobs, knockers, house numbers – are polished and shiny.
5. Add a wreath to your front door. It will make your guests feel welcome, as well as show off your personality.
6. Use a power washer to clean any dirt off of your porch and walkways.
7. Edge your sidewalk and remove any weeds growing between concrete or bricks.
8. Buy ready-made potted plants and place them on your porch. If possible, install window boxes to provide a cottage-like feel.
9. Do a complete lawn check. Get rid of any weeds that are peeking through and plant seed on any bald spots.
10. Remember that even your side yard is visible. Make it just as presentable as your front and backyards.