When it comes to buying or selling a home, a little preparation can reduce a lot of stress.
It’s all about teamwork
Your real estate team includes your broker, mortgage or finance professional, home inspector, title company, and real estate attorney. The stronger the team, the lower your stress during the negotiation and closing process. Your Baird & Warner real estate broker can assemble a full-service team of proven professionals that will work in unison on your behalf.
Forewarned is forearmed
A lot of stress comes from “surprises” along the way, so minimize your risk by being prepared.
- Get a home inspection before putting your house on the market — the home inspector will tell you what condition your home is really in, and identify issues you may not have even thought about so you can address them in a timely manner.
- Gather your mortgage information so you know exactly how much you owe on your home — get yourself in a position of financial strength.
- Prepare your home for sale — reduce clutter and work with a staging professional to create the perfect impression.
- Make a plan so you can get your home show-ready in a pinch — keep nonessentials in storage and know where you’ll put pets or take the kids when you have to be out of the house.
- The mortgage preapproval process will help you determine your maximum budget before you look at properties. There’s nothing worse than falling in love with a home only to be told by your lender that you can’t afford it. Bonus: in a bidding war, a preapproved buyer is typically preferred over one who isn’t.
- Know where you want to live. Be honest with yourself about the importance of factors like public transit, school districts or commute time. Those will be harder to change than wallpaper!
- Make a checklist of must-haves, dream features and important questions — it’s easy to forget to ask about the roof condition, property taxes or HOA rules when you think you’ve found “the one.”
If you have any questions about the process or are interested in learning more, contact your local Baird & Warner broker associate.